On Friday, Tylor Megill pitched the very first 5 innings, prior to Drew Smith (1 1/3 innings), Joely Rodríguez (one inning), Seth Lugo (two-thirds of an inning) and Edwin Díaz (one inning) completed it off. And, obviously, the broadcast cubicle doesn’t appear in package rating, however it’s worth keeping in mind that the efficiency began the 64th birthday of the Mets’ SNY play-by-play voice, Gary Cohen — who got cupcakes throughout the video game and a no-hitter for additional dessert.
Here are 8 statistics and realities about the 2nd no-hitter in Mets history:
• This no-hitter came 28 years and 237 days after the last one that Buck Showalter handled, tossed by Jim Abbott of the Yankees on Sept. 4, 1993. That’s the second-largest space in between consecutive no-hitters handled, tracking just Connie Mack’s 29-year, 14-day space, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The no-nos for Mack? One by Bullet Joe Bush on Aug. 26, 1916, for the A’s, and the other by Dick Fowler for the club on Sept. 9, 1945.
• The Mets went into the day with an MLB-leading .700 winning portion. This was the 4th time in the divisional age (because 1969) that a group leading the Majors in winning portion tossed a no-hitter, according to Elias. The last time it occurred was May 17, 1998, when David Wells tossed an ideal video game for the Yankees. The others were Juan Nieves for the Brewers on April 15, 1987, and Jim Palmer for the Orioles on Aug. 13, 1969.
• Friday’s no-hitter included 5 Mets pitchers. There have actually been just 2 combined no-hitters that included more pitchers, each with 6: the Astros’ no-no versus the Yankees on June 11, 2003, and the Mariners’ no-hitter versus the Dodgers on June 8, 2012 — one week after Santana tossed the very first no-hitter in Mets history.
• The 159 pitches included Friday’s no-hitter are the most for any no-hitter because pitch counts have actually been tracked (because 1988).
• The Phillies had simply 2 batted balls with an anticipated batting average — based upon launch angle and exit speed — of .500 or higher: Didi Gregorius’ third-inning lineout (.500 xBA) and Jean Segura’s lineout because very same inning (.770 xBA).
• This was the 20th time the Phillies have actually been no-hit in their prolonged franchise history, which dates to 1883. That connects the Dodgers for the most times being no-hit of any franchise, consisting of the postseason, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
• This was the 2nd no-hitter captured by James McCann, who was likewise behind the plate for Lucas Giolito’s no-no for the White Sox on Aug. 25, 2020, versus the Pirates.